October 12, 2005

Elizabethtown

I just saw a free preview of Elizabethtown - one of the most beautiful movies I've ever seen. Elizabethtown could have been about any town and it would have been wonderful. It just so happens that it's about one of the places I call my hometown. I grew up all over Kentucky and technically never lived in E-town. I spent part of my high school career every day in E-town. My best friend lives just outside of E-town. So, it's one of my stomping grounds.

So, I've been excited about this movie for a good couple of years. It also happens to be directed by one of America's finest directors. Cameron Crowe has never made a movie I didn't love. In fact, most of his movies are films I call my favorites: Say Anything, Jerry Maguire, Almost Famous, Vanilla Sky...he's a genius.

Crowe's attention to detail in this film is phenomenal. Kirsten Dunst is wonderful. Orlando Bloom is excellent. Susan Sarandon has never been better. Mark my words, Sarandon will be nominated for Best Supporting Actress at this year's Oscars. Elizabethtown stands a lovely chance of being nominated for best picture as does Crowe for best film.

Elizabethtown is a gem of a film--the kind of movie that comes around once in a great while. It's as laugh out loud hilarious as it is moving. Do yourself a favor and go see it Friday when it comes out.