October 11, 2005

"Dude, don't buy a Dell!"

So I bought my Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop in July of 2004. And it has been mostly trouble since. I have had to replace the motherboard. The built in mouse barely works. The left control button barely works. It sometimes slows down to a crawl when projecting video when I lead worship or VJ due to its ridiculously slow video card (which can not be upgraded!).

And now it won't charge when you plug the AC power into the back of the laptop. You have to push the cord in and pull it out and then get it sort of just barely in there and...well sometimes it works.

So, whenever an issue comes up like that (a really serious one), I have to call Dell. And their "much celebrated, world renown" customer service kicks in. Wow. First of all, THEY ARE IN INDIA. The 800 number kicks you over to their call center in India and you talk with nice folks who just simply don't understand English very well. It's a difficult language barrier that can certainly get in the way. But when it comes right down to it, like most American call centers these days, the Dell folks simply are not trained on LISTENING.

When I called today I had to (as I always do) repeat the same things over and over again. For instance I clearly and succinctly described that there was nothing wrong with the AC adapter and that I had tried another Dell AC adapter and had the same problem. Therefore it must be something with the jack on the back of the computer. 4 separate times the guy asked me, "now, are you sure it is not the AC brick?" Yes, I am sure. I have told you that 4 tim

So we finally get somewhere and the guy tells me my warranty was up on May 31. I was told when I purchased the thing (at least I thought) that I had a three year warranty. You do the math, but the way I see it that's not even a full year...let alone three years.

So, all of this is to say. Don't buy a Dell.

P.S. I had to stop (I counted) blogging this 5 times to jiggle the cord in the back of the computer.