August 27, 2006

Duly or dually noted?

You know those emails from friends to let you know their email address has changed?

I was writing my friend Ashley an email letting her know that I had changed her old email address to her new one. I wanted to let her know I had made a note of it, so to speak. As I began to type the first word of the email, I realized that I had no idea how to spell it and furthermore, spell check would not cover this one.

People say it all the time...well, once in a while. The correct spelling is "duly" noted. I think that my whole life I have believed it to be "dually" noted as in noted twice. S illy, I know. Anyway, I googled it and found several interesting websites.

My favorite response to the duly or dually noted question is as follows:

The phrase "duly noted" means "to record in due manner". It probably originated, like so many other needlessly important-sounding phrases, from lawyer-speak.

"Dually noted", I presume, then means "to record twice", while "duelly noted" might mean "to record after a battle with swords". English is fun!