September 1, 2009

The making of pop art.

I've been making pop art for posts for several months now. It's a great creative outlet. I usually start with a picture of a band or artist and use Photoshop to try to craft something new.

My latest bit of fun is the picture of The Raveonettes in the post below this one.

It started with this picture:


That made me think of Bonnie and Clyde.


So, I decided to imitate that poster a bit. I used two of the store signs from the poster in the final pic.

I needed old cars and found them here.


Throw in a storefront from downtown Walnut Ridge, AR.

I reversed that pic to match the cars.

Merged the photo layers and used various combinations of Photoshop effects--mostly "Cutout", "Poster Edges" and "Halftone Pattern".

Added a box with the name of the band using a font called Showtime and a bit of drawing.

Then finish it off with some paper behind it for texture...I toyed around with this paper by cutting it, inverting it and...well a bunch of stuff.

It came out looking quite nice if I do say so myself.



You can see a gallery of other Photoshop creations I've done here or see them in blog posts by clicking the "Eric's Pop Art" tag below this post.