May 26, 2009

DVD Trailer of the Week - Dark City (1998)

This week I'm still taking it easy and not worrying about having everything up I normally do. But I also want to start a new regular.

I've been posting trailers for upcoming movies I think look good but haven't ever posted trailers for movies I already have seen and think you might like. I'll mostly post trailers for films that aren't well known.

Roger Ebert called Dark City the best film of 1998 and even went on to do a commentary track on the DVD for the movie. He loved it so much, he wrote not one but two reviews of it.

I absolutely love this postmodern film noir masterpiece. At the end of the century, Hollywood was questioning reality, existence and purpose. Between '98 and '99 several films came out with the same questions and many different answers: The Matrix, The Truman Show, Pleasantville, The Thirteenth Floor, Sixth Sense, Fight Club etc. These films were all about someone (Neo, Truman, the citizens of Pleasantville) waking to the understanding that their worlds were not what they had been told their whole lives. Dark City fits squarely into that category as well.

If you haven't seen this movie, you owe it to yourself to check it out.