March 5, 2009

Nashville Is Manliest City


Nashville is "America's Manliest City" according to a study released today that was commissioned by Mars Snackfood US and its Combos snack food brand.

Cities were ranked on criteria such as the number of professional sports teams, popularity of tools and hardware, and frequency of monster truck rallies. That last part makes me laugh.

The ranking is part of the Combos launch of its Ultimate Man Zone Sweepstakes, which awards prize packages to upgrade men's tailgating, grilling, home theater or gaming "zones."

New York City finished last out of 50 of the largest U.S. metropolitan areas. Cities lost ranking points for "emasculating" characteristics like the abundance of home furnishing stores, high minivan sales and subscription rates to beauty magazines.

Nashville grabbed the top spot in the ranking thanks to its high number of NASCAR enthusiasts, popularity of hunting and fishing, and concentration of barbecue restaurants.

Read the full article and list at WSMV here.

The moral of the story is that I'm not very manly according to these criteria. I've never been to a monster truck rally, I'm not into NASCAR, I manscape, never been/will go hunting, I would love a minivan, wear skinny jeans, and I'm a stay at home dad.