February 9, 2009

Oscar wants to make the show a little more boring.

So, I'm watching the Grammys and I have to say it's been a great show so far. More performances, less awards. But as John Mayer accepted his award for "Say" I thought, "Hey, that song was from the soundtrack to The Bucket List."

That made me remember how irritated I am that only three songs were nominated for Academy Awards this year. The nominees don't even include Bruce Springsteen's "The Wrestler" from the nominated film of the same name. It's not as though the awards show hasn't become one of the most boring things on television. So, why take away two of the musical performances?

I have not seen any of the High School Musicals and I don't plan on it, but it might have been nice to see one of the big numbers performed on the show. Might have been nice to hear Beyonce perform "Once In A Lifetime" from Cadillac Records. We could have continued our love/hate relationship with Miley Cyrus as she sang "I Thought I Lost You" from best animated nominee Bolt.

I would have loved to see Jason Segel perform "Dracula's Lament" from Forgetting Sarah Marshall or Alicia Keys and Jack Black perform "Another Way to Die" from Quantum of Solace.

What we will hear is "Down to Earth," by Peter Gabriel from WALL-E and two songs from Slumdog Millionaire with words I won't understand.

So, when you're trying to win the Oscar party pool it's a safe bet the Slumdog songs will cancel each other out and Peter will arrive on stage to collect his golden statuette. He won the Grammy tonight for
"Best Song Written For Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media".

Here is a complete list of the songs that were eligible for this year.

Here's the winner: