September 5, 2008

The Politics of Jesus Part 2

My friend Kylan and I went to the bloggily aforementioned Tokens event "The Politics of Jesus" at Lipscomb University's new (I think it's new) Shamblin Auditorium. The room was great with an atmosphere that was warm, cozy, and comfortable. The stage was set up like a live radio show with expensive looking broadcast quality microphones, about a dozen chairs for musicians and actors. It started just like a radio show. We felt as if we were at a taping of Prairie Home Companion without Garrison Keillor.

They did some comedy bits, Derek Webb sang Nick Lowe's "Peace Love and Understanding" and then...

Disappointed we were. The interviews had been taped, and not on video but audio. So, no Shane Claiborne. No Jim Wallis. No Chris Haw. Etc, etc. The blog I listed was copied directly from the Tokens website, and it did not say a thing about the interviews not being live. So, we were really looking forward to hearing from them, especially Shane. When I got home I checked their site and it suddenly said something like "prerecorded interviews". Ugh.

It was pretty cool, I guess. Just disappointing. There were entertaining and funny moments, the music was great and the prerecorded interviews were insightful. Still, I don't feel like I walked away a more informed person or voter.

The recording of the show is supposed to be posted soon in podcast form. We were in the second row, so listen for the intentionally goofy sounds we made all night in retalliation for what we felt was a bit of a letdown. I know, very mature.