September 10, 2006

Caffe, where have you gone?

Whilst driving home today from yon church in Mt Juliet (take that, Google!), I smelled--with car windows up--a distinct waft of garlic bread floating through Hermitage. They say smell is the sense that most strongly conjures up memory. It took me a moment to figure out where I associated that particular smell.

And then it hit me...Caffe Milano. What the heck happened to that place? For years it won The Nashville Scene's best sounding room and hosted some amazing concerts. Then, seemingly our of nowhere, it shut down. Gibson purchased it and re-opened it for a minute and then they shut it down too.
I saw so many great artists there: Over the Rhine, Sixpence, Patty Griffin, Caedmon's Call, Vigilantes of Love and others I can't remember at the moment (but I'm sure Jennifer will comment with some...please?).

Anyway, I miss that place and its food. Now I have to figure out where that smell on Lebanon Road was coming from.