March 23, 2006

Millions

My good friend, Dave, told me I should see the film Millions. Actually he let me borrow it. The DVD didn't work. So, I was at the Hermitage Library today and thought, well it's free and I must have it.

Do yourself a favor and rent it. Or check it out from the library. Whatever. Anyway, I loved it so much I thought I'd put the email I sent Dave in a blog:

David,

If there were any justice in the world, Millions would have been nominated (and of course won) for best picture of the year at the Oscars.

Yeah, I finally watched it. No, not your DVD (still couldn’t get it to work on my DVD player) but one from the Hermitage branch of the public library.

Man! The colors (the yellow flowers wizzing by; the big, no enormous red balls; the peppermint parachutes; the purple perfectly lineup up trashcans, the everything), the insane effects that somehow worked in a non-effects movie (the building of the house around the boys; the giant line that stretched from the boys’ cell phones to the sky; the rocketship takeoff from cardboard box to Ethiopia); the story, the acting, the music, the saints, the…OH MY GOSH WHAT A GOOD MOVIE!

I have just decided that, considering how much I LOVED this movie, I am going to add every Danny Boyle film to my queue and move them to the top! So let’s look…dang it…Netflix is down for maintenance. So, I shall head over to IMDB.com.

OH! I’ve actually seen most of em. I actually really liked A Life Less Ordinary. Trainspotting too (although not nearly as much as my hipster Green Hills Blockbuster clientele did at the time I worked there when it came out). 28 Days Later (you’ve seen that right? Great movie). I have not seen The Beach. Maybe I will. I don’t know. Maybe not. What’s making me laugh is his movie title: Vacuuming Completely Nude in Paradise. Why do I think Netflix won’t have that one?

Anyway, I like this email so much I think I’ll make it a blog on my site.

Word to your mother,
Eric John Coomer


p.s. Oh and the title credit being so tiny. I loved that. And the part with the son walking in the room and telling his dad he didn’t like having his own room and the dad pulling back the covers revealing he was sleeping with two pillows lined up where his wife should be…that made me cry.