May 5, 2005

Infection, Taize, and Emergent Women

I'm sick. That's why I haven't posted anything lately. I have an upper respiratory infection, or so I am told. My throat is swelling and it's difficult to talk and swallow.

That being said, I did not let it stop me from going to Scarritt Bennett tonight for another lovely Taize service. With me was Daphne, Jennie and 7 youth from the youth worship team. We're going to do a Taize service on the 15th and this was a great opportunity to experience it again. Their previous experience was with Jenny Youngman at Warmth In Winter, our conference youth event. So, they have had two excellent experiences with Taize and now we will bring it back to our whole group. I'm anxious and anticipatory. It will be interesting to see how 50-70 kids deal with a Taize service, complete with long moments of silence.

Anyway, I'm troubled. Maybe this should be a separate blog, but I'll tie it together. Everyone in the realm of bloggers I read is talking about
this blog
by Ann Pittman. (Go ahead... read it. I'll wait... What's that? You already have? Oh, of course you have. You're in my realm.) It's 2005 and sexism abounds in the church. It's absurd and you can see by the floodgate of comments on that page that a lot of other people feel it's absurd too. Many other bloggers have shared the concern that women are just simply not in the forefront of leadership in the emergent movement (for instance, read this Lynette blog... actually she lists a couple other blogs too). This is a concern I share.

Tonight, all of the leadership from Scarritt's Taize gathering was female. (I told you I'd tie it all together.) It was wonderfully refreshing. I do not understand in this day and age why sexism is still so prevalent in so many churches. I suppose that in the emergent church a lot of it has to do with the fact that so much of it is coming up out of evangelical roots. I suppose it will take some time to "emerge". As a United Methodist, I scratch my head a lot of the time because many of my favorite clergy are women... so I feel blessed and likewise perplexed.

Anyway, this Sunday night we don't have a youth meeting because of Mother's Day. I'm probably going to attend
The Anchor Fellowship, an emergent (I'm so freaking tired of that word) church that meets at Rocketown. The Anchor Fellowship actually came from the Vineyard church.

I have to be honest, I discovered this church through their
MySpace account. The band's music is really good. If I had a penny to my name I might buy their new CD on Sunday night. Oh yeah, and their male pastor seems pretty cool.