March 18, 2005

Maundy Thursday - 1 week before

I don't mean to harp on this gathering but I'm quite excited. The band will practice tomorrow evening and, depending on how it goes, may practice again next week.

I did so much planning that I stupidly let the music thing slip. So, I just got the band together. We should have practiced more but it's still going to be good. I have an excellent group of people in the band. Quite a motley crew actually. No, not Motley Crue... motley crew.

The band should turn some heads as Steve Barnum (check him out
here and his group Knapsack Heroes out here) will be scratching on the turntables and playing some dope loops and guitar.

You might not hear much acoustic guitar during this service. We guitarists (Don Sauls and I) will be playing through tons of effects and Justin Smith has effects on his bass I can't believe. Raymond will play the kinda piana ya havta plug in. Michael Stallings will play drums and man, is he's good. Whitney Youngblood and my wife Daphne will sing with me. So, the point is that despite the fact that we're doing mostly slow songs... they won't be quiet.

I think we're going to have a
Delirious meets Portishead meets Jason Morant meets David Crowder meets Radiohead meets um... sound. Maybe throw in some Coldplay for good measure.

Truth be told, between the music and the liturgical worship, I'm going to be accused of being too out there on both ends by certain folks. They'll say I'm too loud and too Catholic. Maybe that's what I'm hoping for. I'd take that as a nice compliment.

This way though, when we start a new regular worship gathering, people will sort of know what to expect. I say sort of because I don't even know what to expect. And that's the awesome thing. When we begin this new venture it will be planned, organized, and executed by a group (struggling not to say committee) of people. (Committee means group of committed people, right? Well, then we'll have a committee.)

One person I know will be involved in the new gathering is Jennie Murray. Jennie is my youth director and fast best friend. She'll be delivering the message (struggling not to say preaching the sermon) at Maundy. I'm excited about that too.

I hope you all can make it to the gathering. If you haven't seen it yet, check out the
site.

I'll let you know how the practice goes. Tomorrow.

Stay tuned.